Monday, March 23, 2009

Wr 6-1

Under the front page picture a small sentence under the caption read; photography contest see pg 2A for more details. I flipped to the page. A box of text surrounded by a black line with the title Contest was halfway down the page. HELP! Our staff photographer is leaving for a post with National Geographic magazine. If you’re interested please send a few photographs involving the town along with a resume to… I stopped reading, thinking about it. I had always wanted to be a photographer. I glanced back down at the newspaper. Jhontson, Emerson, and Clarkson a local legal firm is going out of business. They have been offered positions in three major corporations and are considering the offers. I winced, well that was also why I could get a job. The place where I was working in a part time job was going out of business. I am Sam Cooper, assistant and part time secretary to Jhontson, Emerson and Clarkson. They may have jobs all lined up but I certainly didn’t. I sighed and headed to work.
After five hours of condensing fifty filing cabinets into about ten boxes of records, mostly clients, I headed home. Since I would got off at two, I decided that I would take a walk after work. I was wandering around a part of the city that was a little more run down taking pictures of everything from people to cats to graffiti when I saw another photographer, standing by a old cement cylinder taking a picture of some graffiti. I was just about to take a picture when I heard a voice behind me.
“Hey what are you doing?” I turned to see a group of men walking towards us. They looked very angry. I gulped, “Just taking pictures of this place.”
“I don’t know if we like that.” The guy who was talking to me took a step forward and the others started to move forward making a big ring around me. The other photographer took off running. Now I was all alone facing some very unfriendly people. “Now well let you go if you hand over that camera.” Shoot, I should’ve just brought a disposable camera not my nice digital one. I can’t give this one up. As I was contemplating my choices, there were shouts coming from around the corner. Another guy came running around the corner.
“That other guy got the cops!” He shouted as he came sprinting up. The group shot looks at each other and then ran. I heaved a huge sigh of relief. A bunch of cops came running around the corner. Two stopped by me and the rest kept running.
“Are you okay?” The first one asked.
“Yeah, I’m fine. You came just in time, if you had been a little later I would’ve lost my camera.” I looked at the other cop who seemed to want to leave. He was standing in front of some graffiti that read Freedom in big looping letters. “Can I take your picture?” I asked. I hoped he wouldn’t say no.
“Sure.” I snapped a quick picture before he moved too much. After they asked some more questions they dropped me off at my apartment. That night I sent off my pictures with my resume.
A few weeks later the winner was announced in the paper. The picture posted was a local police man standing in front of red white and blue graffiti that read Freedom. I hadn’t won the contest due to the fact I had no experience, but I had gotten honorable mention due to my picture.

1 comment:

Ms. Wiesner said...

Leave a space between paragraphs so it is more visible.

Re-word: "place where I was working in a part time job was going out of business."

I like how your photographer isn't the one taking the picture of the graffiti. He is the one taking the picture of that guy.

Good dialogue, but make sure to start a new paragraph each time you change the speaker.